Friday, January 18, 2008

A History of Art part 66



Today was the day I set aside to finally print my tower block. The first step was to set up a registration system on the block. I marked out end lines and a centering mark in pencil, then attached pieces of mat card to the block with wood glue, right along one end line (see top photo). Clamped them, then got some lunch, which gave the glue time to dry.

Removed the clamps and started inking. The first inking of any block always takes a little longer, and with a block this size, that meant over an hour of carefully rolling on ink with my various brayers. A few pieces of masking tape where needed, then I was ready for the paper. I put one edge right up against my mat cards, matching centering marks (paper and block), then let the paper roll down the length of the block. Next was all the rubbing. After going over the whole block with various rubbing implements, I started pulling back the print from one side to see what needed re-inking (see middle photo). Quite a bit as it turned out, but with perseverence I got through it all, first one side, then the other, again taking about an hour.

The time spent was worth it. The last photo shows the first proof of the block. (click to enlarge) Always takes a little while to get used to the appearance of the print after seeing the reversed image for so long, and I've been working on this block since last summer. In this case the overall composition is fairly symmetrical, which may lessen the shock. I'm happy with the results. I pulled a 2nd proof, which went slightly faster. Both proofs are good- even inking, minimal stray marks. I hung both up on tack boards to dry. Phase 1 of this project was planning the composition and doing the block drawing. Phase 2, cutting and printing, is now complete. In a few days I'll start Phase 3, coloring the print.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home