Sunday, October 18, 2009

A Little Later That Same Weekend



The fall woodcut workshop at PCNJ resumed this morning. The participants showed up ready to work and got right to it. They took a break long enough for me to demonstrate surfacing a block with wood filler as well as to talk about the variety of inks, tools, papers and other items needed by relief printmakers everywhere. After that, back to cutting wood. Later in the afternoon one of the students brought her block to a state where she was ready to try printing it, so I demonstrated how to ink and print a block, and supervised while they all tried if for themselves.
The result- three very nice state proofs of the block and some very enthusiastic new converts to the medium of woodcut, excited to keep going with it on their own.


2 Comments:

Blogger EDodeles said...

Thanks for making this medium more accessible, Paul. The prints are hanging in my studio and at my job. I have already visited the Maclain's site and chosen two Japanese woodcutting tools. But I may have to wait until Christmas to make my purchase. Please keep me informed of any classes you may be teaching in the future and please take a look at my other work when you have a minute. http://www.elisedodeles.com/

11:41 AM  
Blogger arrabbiata said...

I'm glad that you enjoyed the class. One of the things I especially like about teaching woodcut is seeing how excited people get when they pull their first print. A nice thing about woodcuts is that it's very easy to pull multiple copies, so you can hang it in your studio and at your job and anywhere else you like. I look forward to seeing the finished print hanging in a PCNJ gallery show soon.

4:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home