Sunday, August 01, 2010

Smoking Figure part 7


As I drove up Main Street/route 71 toward the Studio I saw this interesting decoration on the reconstructed back door tympanum of our building. From the street I has assumed it was paint, but when I approached it to take this photo, I quickly realized that it's made from bits of broken brick (refuse from some work up on the 3rd floor) and some very strong adhesive. It doesn't fit in with any of the building's very traditional exterior, so I'm thinking it's a temporary addition. And I'm guessing that the shape in the lower left corner is a Neptune's trident, since this was once the high school for Neptune, NJ.

I arrived just as Molly was packing up, but she was willing to stick around for a few minutes to look at the current block, which she had not yet seen. She seemed very impressed with what I have done so far. She had a few small concerns about what she saw as proportional issues. After comparing the drawing to the model photo, I decided that she was mistaken about the size of the hand holding the cigarette, but she may have a point about the skirt length. (and she's definitely in favor of keeping the full length of the block) She pointed out that this piece may surprise a lot of the people at the critique, who aren't familiar with this facet of my work.

After that I put in a little more time on the block. Today it was adding more text to the window, just to the left of her hip. I marked out a bunch of perspective lines, and then roughed in a few numbers and letters. I decided to try the idea of both a phone number and a web address. (see below) I think the idea is fine, but the size is way off. On my Main Street drive, when phone numbers did appear on windows, the numbers were about the same size as other sign lettering (easily read from the street). If I can get in early enough before the crit, I may try making some larger numbers and/or letters, and see how that looks.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home