Thursday, July 14, 2011

Drawing With Mud

About a month ago we started a community art project on the grounds of the Boatworks, a mud mural. I've helped on it a little bit here and there, alongside one or more other people. We're in the phase of adding three dimensional elements to the wall. Kat and I decided to use bamboo inspired designs, reflecting the material that formed the structure of the wall itself. I have volunteered to help her with this, but so far our free time schedules have not matched up, plus we've had a few rainouts. So over the past week she's molded a few bamboo stalk shapes to the wall- verticals on the outer edges and one curving in on the left side. Today she was busy and I wasn't, so I decided to put in some work by myself and advance the project a little. Our mud pool had all dried up, so I had to add water to make more mud, then mix in the sand to get the right consistency. I didn't want it to be completely symmetrical with the other side, so to her two vertical stalks on the far right I added two more, one curved, one angled, the dark brown shapes above. Below is the whole wall as it looked at the end of the afternoon, though by tomorrow my additions should dry to the lighter color of the rest of the wall.

I believe the plan is to add some bamboo leaf shapes next. If I am involved in that I'll post the results here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home