Monday, July 23, 2012

More Kitties


I spent a bit of time earlier this month quickly producing my new Animal Spirits print- a few days to draw and cut the block, and a few days coloring prints to get my final version.  I'm happy with the results, and it got a very good response at the exhibition intake, the reception, and from people I've seen since.  But not knowing how it would go over, as a back up I printed a couple of proofs of my cats block (created for the international postcard show), and lacking a frame that size, went with the glue it to a block of wood process that Molly favors and that I used for the Time to Downsize print.  Didn't get as many comments, but it did get purchased at the reception, which has to count for something.

I stopped by the Boatworks on some other business late last week and was informed that someone taking a class that week expressed disappointment at not being able to buy the cats piece herself.  However, she was informed that it was a print and thus more copies could be available, and I was advised to crank out another one soon.

Last time I printed this I made two proofs.  The coloring worked out on the first, so I left the second alone.  I'll try coloring that one sometime this week, but meanwhile I had other things to work on.  I had one last significant piece of the pine board I used for the cats in the show and the two copies of the house print that I had made.  I used the power saw (above) to cut off a piece of identical size to the one currently hanging in the Boatworks, and then sanded it smooth.

Next, I decided it would be a logical precaution to make a few more proofs in case there was a problem coloring the spare one I have.  Got another scrap of okawara and tore it in half to make two pieces of the right size.  Last time, with an imminent deadline, I added a little drier to the ink, but this time I used it as it comes out of the can.  Although my family members have been finding issue with the ball shape (size and coloring pattern), if someone wanted to buy what they saw on the wall, this isn't the time to make changes, so I used one of the same size plastic cups to print the circle in about the same place on both.


For now I left both proofs in the rack to dry.  In the next few days I'll get back up to the Studio and color the one I have ready to go, and if it turns out ok, mount it to the piece of wood.  If there's a problem coloring that one, I'll have two more back ups.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home