Friday, July 12, 2013

Table Talk part 4



With this table project I've mostly been concentrating on the engineering part of it, in connection with design aspects that Molly has specified.  Both of my corner/leg designs met one of her requests- attach the legs without having visible bolts through the exterior frame.  However I was thinking last night about how these exterior corners were still not particularly pretty.  Looking to make my samples quickly, I had put them together with simple butt joints.  This worked for my Studio worktables, but even covered with paint you can see the texture of the end of the board and the seams between them.

One simple solution, make the corners miter joints.  When the time comes to make these table frames I'd be taking extra care to make sure they are perfect right angles and absolutely level, and with the use of a miter clamp, that takes no more time and effort for the miter corner than a butt joint.  I still have to put two screws in it, but I can recess them and fill in the holes.  Since Molly hadn't come to see my corner constructions yet, I came in this morning and used the last piece of 2" x 4" that I had, cut a couple of angled ends, and made myself a corner.  Just a few minutes work.  I left it on the table with the other two corners for whenever it is that Molly finally shows up to see my work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home