Monday, April 24, 2017

Back to Work Yet Again part 4



Not as sunny a day as yesterday, but no problem as it was planned to be a Studio day.  Got there in the afternoon.  The first thing I took care of was preparing a new block of wood.  Saturday is the scheduled day for the Annual Belmar Art Walk, where artists set up all around town to show their work or whatever.  I agreed to be manning the Boatworks, so I'll be cutting a block.  First, it's a chance to promote the latest scheduled woodcut workshop series.  My last attempt (April/May) only got one taker, not enough to run.  So now we're trying a June/July class.  And we're hoping that people actually watching me do some block cutting might be more likely to want to try it themselves. Second, this block will be used to start a saint print.  One of the shows there later this summer has a bird theme, but a rule that the art must be created in the past few years.  I've done a lot of bird themed prints in my life, but none are that recent, and probably all the ones I've done have been shown there already anyway.  So starting a new bird themed saint print could take care of two problems at once.  And the first step is preparing a piece of wood.


Then I went back to my coloring.  Didn't cover quite as much paper today, but what I did made a big difference.  Today was greens- a warm lighter one for the leaves on the big flowers, the eye on the palm of the hand, and the ends of the grass skirt, a darker cooler green for other parts of the skirt, and for the tattoos on the artist's arms, and a pale green tint for the claws of the dragon, all hues matching my final version of the print from a few years ago.

As I was leaving in the late afternoon I took a side trip to buy more wood.  Didn't absolutely have to get it for today, but I expect to need it soon.  And though cool and cloudy today, at least it wasn't raining, and there's no guarantee there will be many rain free days in the next few weeks.  Water is not a friend to wood.  As I was leaving the Studio, the parking lot that had been empty when I arrived was now jammed full of cars (dance kids likely), so rather than go back and fight for a space, I left it in my car for now.  It will be safe in there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home