Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Woodcut Workshop 2017 continues


Time for week 2 of the 2017 BAC woodcut workshop, and a few things have happened since last week.  First, I ordered some more supplies- ink, tools.  Bought more hand soap, inventoried my refound water based ink, but I still need to order some more paper.  The other change is that the class grew from five to six students.  Was contacted my e-mail a few days ago and asked if it was possible to join.  She was willing to pay the full tuition so I said yes, and tonight she had checks for the class and materials.


After that it was business as usual.  Everyone had sketches, which I reviewed and advised.  Cut off blocks of wood for those who didn't have them yet, and they got started.  Just showed a few prints tonight, giving them more time to work.  Talked tools one more time and gave a quick demo of the proper way to use the various gouges.


On a regular basis I worked around the table, giving cutting and tool advice.  One of the concerns raised last week was how to avoid cutting oneself, so for the demo I brought out one of the bench hooks.  Went over well, because I ended up passing out all I had.  And one bandaid, despite the demo and bench hooks,  but just a minor injury.  A few felt some soreness in their joints, but first time cutting after a long time without and I can feel the same way for a little while.  You get over it.  No one finished a block tonight, but all made good progress and had to be reminded that the class had ended and it was time to go.  Next week cutting continues, and printing if anyone is ready, but I doubt anyone has their own tools, so we'll see if that happens.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home