Sunday, April 23, 2023

Achluophobia part 7 plus Open Studio- updated


Today was the rescheduled Open Studio event at the Jersey Shore Arts Center.  I figured if I got there early  I'd find parking in the front (only 18 participants listed on the postcard), but getting there as it was beginning could be a problem if visitors came.  So I left around 10:30 am, and got there around 11:00 am, or about an hour before it was scheduled to begin.  Lots of cars parked by the building, but lots of room in the front lot.  I used two trips to bring everything inside, which gave us problems with the new door lock system,  meaning it didn't work so well.  Took 4 tries before the door opened on my first trip, and 2 tries on the second trip.  But eventually I got in.


The reason I was there so early on a Sunday was the Open Studio event.  We had one of these last year in connection with the tenants show, but this year there is no show.  I did bring a few pieces of art with me in frames, but not much, and that I carried down to the Studio.  I didn't want to start cutting my block yet, so I used the time to organize the space a little, and to sharpen my class tools, using the sharpening stone I brought to do this.  I had brought both my CD cases with me, in case Molly was there and to give her more options.  However, all my listening was from the Jazz/Blues set, so I started with Duke Ellington, and played by discs of T-Bone Walker, Buddy Guy, and Robert Cray, all things that I have written about in the past.  

Around noon I started cutting my new block.  For this I used my good tools, sharpened at home a few days ago.  As is my custom, I started by cutting out the border first, the went on to the inside of the piece, which is a lot more complex.  I don't know how many people came through the first floor, but it was probably a lot.  From my space I could see cars parking and leaving from the back lot all day.  We had new signs put next to our doors (my door at least) to make it easier to find the spaces, and I had both doors open.  I had handed out some postcards and sent some emails, but had no idea how many of those would show up.  Having something to work on would keep me busy no matter how many people came.  


One of my earliest visitors was Sandra Foley, who was checking out all the Studios and taking photos of what she found.  She got this shot of me holding my just started block.  (as you know, I am not a selfie kind of guy, so you know I didn't take this photo) Part of this was to promote herself as a photographer, @fashionhauntsphotos.  Either way, I got this photo from her the next day and it's a nice one.

I kept track of the number of visitors I had over the 5 hour event, and it turned out to be about 50, which is a pretty good day.  Some were there specifically to see Molly, but she never showed.  Too bad, as she has a job offer waiting for her, a student from one of her early etching classes there in the Studio.  (she wants to print an old plate for an upcoming show)  It's Molly's press, so it's up to her.  This etching student remembered me, as back then I had told her about a split complement thing she had going on, which went over her head at the time, but with more education she realized it was a wise comment. Others realized she wasn't there and didn't even come in, so I don't count them among the 50.  We did have a few people who had been part of our critique group, people who live there in town. One, Harriet, I had invited.  Another, Michelle, I hadn't sent anything to, but I am always happy to see her.  Her mother was there also, who had organized a large art thing around town several years ago, which included me teaching a workshop with linocut, right there in our space back when I had tables available for that.  (her mother said that both my class and the whole event were popular and she had requests to do it again, but found it too much work) 

I had invited some former students as a last minute thing (I didn't know if they were on the mailing list for the JSAC or not), but the one who showed up was Nellie, who I had shared the information with a few days ago.  She enjoyed a recent silkscreen class, but still wants to do some more woodcut, and lately has been doing a lot of head and figure drawing, which I consider a valuable preparation for all art that follows. 

There was one former high school student from the old building, and many who came through were amazed at how much light we had and how inviting the room was, especially compared with our dark and bleak hallways.  A few got lost wandering around those as well.  That's why we painted yellow lines on the floor- to help us find our space. 

A lot of people who came through didn't know much about printmaking, especially relief, so I showed them one of the recent proofs of the Love in Vain print and the block that was used to create it.  Lots of astonishment at my ability to work backwards (I'm used to it, and cutting takes the same amount of time, forwards or backwards)  Also a lot of comments about the level of detail in my work.  I like the details, fun to cut and see in the final print, so for me this is what I want it to be.  Also some comments on woodcut verses linocut.  I admitted I have tried both and prefer woodcut- it's harder to do, but the effect wood has on my tools and drawing style makes the extra effort worth it.

As for the new block, after cutting out the outside, I did the inside, especially on the left side of the block.  This was the two figures, the wooden door, the shadowed hallway, and the mortar around the bricks.  I had a lot of people come through asking questions, and figured they were more important to deal with today.  How it looked at the end of the day can be seen below:

So it was a very busy and productive day.  Could this lead to more classes, sales, and exhibitions?  Maybe, and maybe not.  Hard to predict these things.  But I got a lot done, if you look at the pile of sawdust and wood splinters that resulted:


Later tonight I will send Molly an email, letting her know about the good crowd we got, people she knows, and that etching commission that she may have. (a note was left for her)  And maybe she'll let me know what she is up to these days.  


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home