Monday, July 15, 2024

Boardwalk Days part 23

 Today was predicted to be a hot day, so I figured getting up to the Studio should be done as early as possible.  And so I was, by a little after 10:00 am.  Outside was warm, but inside was not bad at all. I had brought the rock/pop book of discs and from this selected my home burned Gun Club disc.  Partly it was a random opening of the book, but also I knew it ran about the time I was planning to be there.  More details about the music can be found on this blog on a posting from November of 2019.

My main goal today was to work on the boardwalk piece, especially the second figure I drew from the model last week.  I knew this one was the least complete, and I planned changes anyway.  I looked the block over and concluded my plan made sense.  I wanted the second figure to feel like it was a little further away than the first one.  This is already seen with perspective, but to emphasize this idea, I also did it with size, making it a little smaller than the one in the foreground.  Since I knew I had to redraw it anyway, not a problem. I used my camera to look at the reference photo I took that day, but mostly I was looking at the actual block drawing itself, and using that to guide what I was doing.  The new figure isn't that much smaller, but I do think it's enough to let the viewer know she sits just a little further away.  Then I looked at the whole thing and decided the skateboarder needed to be little larger. so as to sit in the same plane as the two women on the benches.  This was done mostly by looking at my original sketch, there in the sketchbook I had also brought with me.  Of course there is no rule that says the figure is the same size as any of the adults, and it could be a kid on a skateboard, but I know the original sketch was based on a full grown adult, and so I made my figure a little bigger.  Next to the guy on a skateboard is the dog being walked, and so I went ahead and redrew that as well, once again using the sketch I had made in my sketchbook weeks ago.  The skateboarder and dog may change in the future, but in my opinion both are improved.  Results can be seen below:

I also looked at my other current block, the new Robert Johnson print.  I like the new figure I drew last week, so other than cleaning it up a little, I left it as it was.  The reclining figure in bed isn't bad, but I may go back and make a few changes.  The table and lamp on the right don't look right at all, so I will definitely change that, but that will wait until the next time I work on that block, probably next week.  As I left the building, I noticed that things had indeed gotten a little warmer, and on the way home, it got hotter still.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home