Tuesday, August 13, 2024

A Very Busy Day

My calendar showed one thing for today, an appointment with my oncologist, which means cancer doctor if you aren't familiar with the word.  Numbers have been good on tests for the past year, but this was the annual follow-up.  However, as a bonus, I knew (at least in the past) I had an opportunity to pick up some art supplies on the way back.  As has been noted here before, most of the big discount art supply stores in the region have gone out of business.  Even the college bookstores (which I used to get paper and things at) have gone out of the art business, more a problem for the students I had in those days, who had to go to the internet to find what my class required, and couldn't use bookstore credits (how much scholarship money is distributed) to get art supplies. I still have a few sources I can use for what I need, but a lot less than I used to have, and that's all mail order or internet.  Last year there was a Michael's on the state highway back from the doctor, and I had to go that way today, so I was hoping.  

Of course there was a delay at the doctor, which is common for doctors, where they tend to be an hour or more late for appointments.  Luckily I had nothing else on my agenda for today.  Since I am suffering no symptoms, and my numbers are good, and I'm seeing other doctors regarding my various organs, she said I don't have to come back unless I want to/need to.  Fine by me.  Parking is not too bad there, and it's not too far a ride, but seeing fewer doctors is a good thing.  So this may be my last time having an excuse to go by this store.  I was happy to see that it was still there.  On the way back I did stop and pick up some mat board and foam core.  I use these for framing, and have at least one forthcoming show, so time to stock up, and I bought some of each.  Left it out in the car when I got home.

In the early afternoon I called my former student, who has been having me print blocks for her in advance of an upcoming gallery show, and has even offered to put some of my works in the show.  That is one reason I wanted to get more framing supplies.  Last time I saw her she suggested I supply the works for the show, instead of using the ones she owned, and the idea I had was to use some of the framed Robert Johnson prints I used in last year's Tenants show.  I'm tired of moving them every time I go into the Studio, and the mats are already cut, the frames already wired, and the prints mounted and labeled.  Needed new backing (more secure for pieces that have to be transported by someone not me), which is why I bought stuff today.  Picked up a tasty burger in the same plaza.

In the early afternoon I called my former student to see when she wanted to pick up her prints.  The show opens this weekend, so she needed to get them and frame the last one.  Left her a message and she called me back.  I explained things and she decided the best thing was to get them this afternoon, especially if she could find a ride.  She was able to, called me back, and I got myself up to Ocean Grove.  So fast I forgot my ID badge (out of my car for repairs yesterday) and let myself in through the office.  First I put Mary's latest prints on top of Molly's press, so she'd be able to find them quickly.  As I expected, the ink was dry.  Then I checked my own contributions to the upcoming show.  I liked the one in the larger frame, but the smaller one needed better backing, so I took care of that with some of my new materials.  It looked like what is seen below:


I just finished all that when Mary called, and I met her at the back door.  Her friend with a car was there as well.  She went to move her car around the back, and I led Mary to my space.  I showed her the prints of hers we pulled the other day,  and then the prints of mine for the new show.  (she gave me what she thinks the gallery cut will be, and I added prices to the labels on them.  We decided to leave the blocks there in the rack for now, as the most recent might still be a bit wet, despite having been blotted.  (and when I checked, it was a bit inky) The website for the gallery isn't much help, as her show is opening a few weeks after it had been scheduled, and ends sometime in mid September, but as far as I know, it will open this Saturday, August 17th, with a reception from 6 to 8 pm.  Weather permitting, I plan to be there for a while.  Mary took off, I locked the back door, and Jeanne was already gone, so I couldn't ask her what I was planning to ask her.  

Back home I got some more news.  The tv producer is now planning his second visit for next week, and claims this time he will spend less time talking to artists, hoping to see more people.  And he is planning at least one more visit in September.  Maybe this time I'll send him an email, not so much demanding he come interview me (that's his decision after all) but just to remind him that there are artists in the basement as well, as he may not be aware.  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home