Tuesday, August 21, 2007

A History of Art part 26


Today I worked on 4 pieces of the drawing. I started with the boat ride. I figured the key was changing the suspended rim (with the fish) around the top. Played around a bit, left it as seen in the second photo. I think it's a little more consistent now with the rest of the ride. I'll wait a while before I come back to it again. If I can't work it out, I can always remove the top and just go with the boats and the trough. Then I moved over to the station wagon. My original reference from the family photo album showed it at eye level, and drawing it that way had it in a plane different from all the ground around it. I brought it a bit closer to the reality within the scene by making minor changes to the back bumper/tailgate/window section, to the roof and luggage rack, and to the wheels. It makes a bit more sense now in itself, and it even makes the boat ride look better by not pulling away from it as much.

Next I moved to the area on the right above the train (top photo). For the third time I drew the hillside Tuscan village of Castelnuovo, making the buildings a little smaller so I could bring in some of the greenery below it, to help it separate a little better from the train and tower. It's done. Then I did some highway signs. I decided to add a third sign post so I could have a gas/food/lodging cluster, as one commonly finds on interstates in the wide open parts of our nation. Two are common sights from my midwest travels- Motel 6 (I have to redo that one) and Waffle House (which doesn't even have a location in NJ). For the gas I decided to go with Esso, which was more of an eastern brand and as far as I know the name hasn't been used in this country for a few decades. But since this piece has a lot to do with my past, I thought a vintage brand from my youth would be appropriate. Originally I had the 6 in the middle, but decided to move it over, so I could separate the two red, white, and blue signs. After I fix that 6, this section will be done.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home