Friday, August 17, 2007

Manasquan Walk of Art


A week ago I mentioned the question of whether or not I'd be participating in the latest Art Walk in town. Time to follow up.

A few days ago I made the decision not to participate. One concern had been getting there early enough on a Friday afternoon that I had been scheduled to work, but that probably could have been dealt with. Of more concern was that I had just too much to do over the next several days and couldn't see myself having time to prepare everything that would be needed. Also of concern would be having to set up by myself and the predictions of bad weather. So I left a phone message and e-mailed, to make sure it was known that I wouldn't be showing up.

The good side of not being a participant was that I could be a spectator- walk around, talk to the artists, see the art. And the forecast had even been changed to nice weather. Problem came this afternoon around 4:30 when I walked out of my work location and saw massive blue-black clouds to the north. Not so good. Got on the road south fast enough that I hit minimal rain, but parts of it had already swept through Manasquan. Before going home I drove down Main, just around 5 pm (planned Art Walk starting time) and saw maybe 6 people set up so far, but the weather clearing. I decided to take care of stuff at home for a while, give the artists more time to set up. About an hour later, with sun shining and radar showing clear skies, I took a walk downtown. Of the 30 artists who were expected, maybe a little more than half were set up. I walked up one side of Main, stopping to talk to artists I knew (from the BAC and Manasquan River Group) on a few occasions. Down the end I crossed over, and a little distant thunder was heard. Moments later the blue-black clouds were back, coming in fast from the west. And the artists were scrambling to take down their displays, about an hour ahead of schedule. The street grew dim, the wind picked up. Time for me to get walking home. After what happened in Asbury a few weeks ago, I had taken the precaution of bringing my umbrella. As it turned out, despite the dark gray clouds that quickly covered the town (see above photos of views at the intersection of Main and Route 71), rain didn't actually arrive for another hour. So in the end it was a little disappointing, especially as some of the stuff I saw being packed up on my way back looked interesting. Lets hope for better luck next time- there's one more Art Walk type event coming up this year in October.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home