Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Boardwalk Wheel Game part 27



I had originally planned to go into the Studio after work on Monday, but the arctic tempertures convinced me to just run a few errands (including getting a few sheets of bristol board paper to use for my Christmas cards) and go home. Today the tempertures got up into the 30's, relatively warm, so no need to put it off any longer. Today's goal was to print. I got there around 4:30 pm, checked out and photographed the progress on the demolition of the annex outside my window, and tore down some paper to appropriate sizes. Opened a brand new can of ink for the occasion. The block has a slight warp in it, but not so great as to make it exceptionally difficult to print. I looked at the inked block (top photo) and decided that I liked it, so went ahead with the first proof, pulled on Rives HeavyWeight, a paper I use often for prints that get colored with watercolor. The first proof always needs more ink and as a result, the first proof I pull often requires some re-inking. As long as most of the paper stays in contact with the block, it's usually possible to lift a piece of the paper off the block enough to re-ink a small area. I was doing that and it was coming along well, but eventually the paper slipped a tiny bit and some areas got smudged. As a result the proof will never be suitable for an exhibition, but I can use it to practice color. Because this print has a root in Japanese woodcuts, I also brought a package of Okawara, an extremely thin Japanese paper. After re-inking the whole block I pulled a second proof with the Okawara. Much easier to hand print with thinner paper. For that and other reasons, the second one turned out much better. The second photo above is the first proof, the third photo is the second proof. The difference can be seen easily in the areas all around the girl game attendant. In the first proof these are dark and indistinct, but in the second these areas are clearly printed. More proofs will follow, but for now at least I can see what I have, and I like it.
With those out of the way, I also pulled a few copies of the new Christmas card, on the bristol, just enough copies to have some to practice colors with. I'll run more in the next few days.
Meanwhile Molly had arrived in the Studio as I was in between proofs of the Boardwalk block. While I was printing, she was working on her latest table project. We had previously decided to have our annual Studio staff holiday party tonight, so after I was done printing, I cleaned up and we went to Pete and Elda's for some beer and pizza. A great way to end a productive Studio session.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home