Saturday, January 03, 2009

Boardwalk Wheel Game part 30

In the early afternoon I dropped off those framed drawings at the Boatworks. From there I continued up to the Studio to get back to coloring my new print. As I had planned, I went with mostly warm colors- most of the front counter is Naples yellow, with the vertical wall mostly a mix of cadmium orange and quinacridone burnt siena, and some red, blue, and other assorted colors for lettering and designs. When it got to this point I spent a bunch of time looking at it and decided that I did not like it. That orange color especially. It's not a bad color, and I like how the whole wall works, but it's just too bright to go along with the rest of the image. Either I have to get rid of it, or I have to put a lot more of the orange everywhere else to balance it, and I don't want to do that.

As I was pondering all this Molly came by to do a little of her own work and so we could have a little celebration of the 3rd anniversary of our founding of this shared space. She had a whole bunch of suggestions for the color issues, starting with getting rid of that orange. Her main point was that the orange panel draws too much attention away from everything else, including the prizes that she sees as the focus of the image. I don't know that I agree with the last part of that- I think of the prizes as contributions to the overall composition first, and as details to be explored later. In addition, my goal was that each individual panel also works independently, so there has to be something to establish interest in the left panel, where there aren't a lot of prizes. Probably the wheel, which is strongly graphic to begin with. But no one will be noticing the wheel or the prizes or anything else until I deal with that orange wall.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home