Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Boardwalk Wheel Game part 33

Having completed the first round of color experiments on the new print, it's time to begin coloring one for real. This time I'm working with one of my okawara proofs. The first colored proof was on Rives Heavyweight, which is similar to a watercolor paper and behaves accordingly when it comes to using watercolors. Japanese papers are very different- different fibers and textures, plus much much thinner, sometimes almost transparent. Very easy to hand rub, though you do have to be careful not to tear the sheet. It also can work with a brush, for ink or watercolor, but it takes the paint in a much different way than heavier western papers. For example, too much water in the mix and sometimes the color soaks through and spreads to unintended areas.

Whatever kind of paper, I usually start with warm and light colors, so that's what I did today. I put in the pale yellow color on the wheel, signs, and other spots. Looked pretty much as it did on the earlier proof. Next I mixed up a fresh batch of the yellow-brown color for the counter and applied it, but in the light wash I was using it also ended up a kind of pale yellow. After it dried I put over it a light wash of mummy, which brought it back toward a pale yellow-brown. Same color for the cardboard boxes behind the counter and bits of the prizes, and a slightly darker version for the boardwalk. I also put in some skin tones and some bright yellow spots. The last thing for the day was creating an orange-red color that I used to color all the shelves. The results can be seen above. Next time I start putting in some of the cool and dark colors.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home