Sunday, January 04, 2009

Boardwalk Wheel Game part 31





Last night at home, still thinking about how I want to deal with the colors in the new print, when I happen to glance at a section of a local paper sitting on a table. The article was about updates on renovations to one of the pavilions along the boardwalk in Spring Lake. There's one at each end of the beach (1st photo south, 2nd photo north), each with a pool (traditionally salt water), lockers, restrooms, concessions, etc. Never been inside either one, but I've driven or walked past the outsides of them many times. Something I've always liked about the design and the colors: the yellow-brown brick coupled with the blue-green trim, all with the weathered look of age and exposure to the elements. When I saw that photo, it suddenly occurred to me that this may be the solution to my color problems.
I swung past the pavilions on my way up to the Studio, to take those photos and remind myself of the exact colors. I mixed up the brick color, essentially the stone base color I used all over the tower print- buff titanium with burgundy yellow ochre. I put that over all the orange, and over the naples yellow parts of the counter. The turquoise color was a combination of amazonite genuine, phthalo green, and white. I put that over all the blue in both sections. I also toned down the red by laying over it a wash of light red (essentially rust), and washed a little off white over the yellow parts of the signs. I don't know if this is the final solution, but it's much better. Scroll down to yesterday's post and you'll see what I mean. Maybe not the typical boardwalk color scheme, but it will work better for the composition of the print.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home