Saturday, April 11, 2009

Boardwalk Tattoo part 13





This morning I took my 3rd ride up to Rahway in the past 5 weeks, to pick up my work from the Relief Printing: Contrasting Surfaces show. Got Molly's at the same time, since she was out of town today. The director expressed an interest in seeing more of my work (particularly more supermarket prints) so I told him I'd put stuff on a disc for him in the summer.
In the afternoon I went up to the Studio for a few hours. Had to drop off Molly's 5 pieces, but also it's been a week since I last worked on the block and I wanted to get back to the cutting. On the left side I cut out the spaces in the view through the store. On the right side I cut out the negative space around the flaming fingertip hand/fish and the rest of the mandala shapes. I cut these areas because this stuff is all resolved and will need to be cut at some point. The first 3 photos show the two areas I cut, as well as the progress of the whole block.
Less resolved are areas around the two main figures. The one consistent negative comment that came out of the critique night earlier this week (and the one before that) was in the drawing of the tattoo artist's hands. People seem to like what I did with his spare hand, but there are still opinions that the hand holding the needle is too small. The last photo shows the whole figure. I used a photo of Rob holding the needle as a reference and the hand is in proper proportion to the arm, but looking at it now, I think the problem may be the arm itself is too small. The angle of how it meets the hand looks a little off. I don't know if the needle is hiding the problem or causing it. It needs to be dealt with, but not today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home