Sunday, June 28, 2009

Boardwalk Arcade part 10

Decided to continue work on the block at home again today, while I watched the U.S./Brazil soccer match, which in the end proved a bit disappointing. At least the art portion of the afternoon went well. I finished putting prizes in display cases, this time the ones in the upper left. Mostly appliances- toaster, blender, electric fan, all standard upper level prizes then and now. Threw in a vintage Atari game, since this is meant to be the arcade of my youth, and the modern equivalent is not an uncommon top boardwalk prize now.

Not everything in my arcade will specifically be from my memories of Belmar Playland. My memory, confirmed by my cousin, is that the place had a plain concrete floor. Kind of dull, and since most of the current arcades I checked out are carpeted (some of them really wild colors and patterns), I decided my arcade would be as well. The design is based on one of the simpler ones I saw, mostly one color, with random slightly lighter squarish shapes and occasional small black spots. When questioned on the topic, my cousin believed that prizes were not displayed on top of large game machines at Belmar, but this is pretty common now. And since the top of the claw machine in my drawing is pretty dull, I decided to cover it with a giant teddy bear. After that, I sketched in the scoring holes and rims on all the skeeball lanes.

I will now need to go over everything and make various adjustments (especially to the skeeball scoring holes), but all the elements of the planned image are now in place. I'll make some fixes over the next few days and expect to start cutting by the beginning of July.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home