Saturday, October 24, 2009

Boardwalk Food part 19

Back to the Studio for a few hours this afternoon. With all the spaces around objects mostly cut, I decided to deal with some interior details today. The biggest area worked was the foreground counter. I took care of the near side stuff first- the sausages, sauteed peppers and onions, rolls, and a pot of tomato sauce. Then came the far side condiments- the big pump jugs of ketchup and mustard, two squeeze bottles, and salt shakers. This whole section is now completed.


Then I decided to go up the middle and cut two signs. Up top is the far edge of the ice cream stand, some menu items pictured. Below that is a portable signboard advertising something from the pizza place- zeppole. For those not familiar, zeppole are an Italian branch of the vast international family of fried dough with sugar treats, which includes traditional donuts, funnel cakes, etc. There are large zeppole with cream filling, such as the traditional St Joseph's Day treat, but at local street fairs and carnivals the more common type is a small dough ball fried until a little crunchy outside and sprinked with powdered sugar. Buy them by the greasy paper bag.
I drew the letters on the sign about a month ago using an unusual type design (trying to bring a little variety to the many signs in the print) and hadn't thought about it since then. Cut it this afternoon and took a quick rubbing to see if was legible. Not particularly so, but an even bigger problem- another misspelling, worse than my meatball problem. Somehow I had lettered the word "ZEPPOELE", and now cut it into the block. Don't know how that second "E" got in there or how I didn't notice it over the past month. (I found the meatball misspelling later the same day I drew it.) Probably the weird squished together letters. This can't stay as is. One option is to cut that E into an L, which would give me ZEPPOLLE- still a misspelling but one that pops up once in a while, and a lot of people who see the finished print wouldn't know the difference. But I'd know, and with some of the letters hard to distinguish, more likely is that I'll just cut the whole word off the block and figure a way to print something else in the spot later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home