Thursday, February 11, 2010

Boardwalk Mini Golf part 8


Mother Nature has been at it again, our third snow in a space of one week, and the 2nd major storm. The timing on this one was just right to cancel 3 of my classes this week, so even subtracting all the endless hours of snow shovelling (and dealing with some downed trees in my driveway), I still had more time than usual to think about art.

It's been exactly one month since the last time I worked on the latest boardwalk block. Most of that time was occupied with the For Love Not Money post card, but as there is nothing more involved for me with that until my collaborator's card arrives, it's time to return to my mini golf image. All during this month I had been considering the next major piece, the statue hole. My first idea had been some old semi-obscure cartoon character. On my short list was the Frog, arch-nemesis of Courageous Cat, even had a video freeze frame sketch that was a perfect pose for the hole. But in the end I decided that the combination of the Frog and the course would be too much green. Could have gone with a random funny animal, but nothing stood out. In the end I went with my third option, a clown. Used some of my extensive hours stuck in the house over the past week to look at a lot of clown images, especially ones that skewed weird. Chose not to copy any one of them, but came up with a clown that borrows ideas from some of my sources.
Put in a few hours with the big wide shovel in the morning and afternoon, but after that I had some time to sit down with the block and I put a rough version of my clown standing on the two foot pedestals. A detail featuring the clown can be seen above, and the full block is below. There may be some adjustments in the near future, but this is the idea. I'll deal with surface decoration on the clown's outfit later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home