Saturday, February 13, 2010

The Studio Of My Dreams


Today was one of those days where I had to take care of various art related tasks. Drove a framed print up to the Printmaking Council for an upcoming show. On the way back I stopped in Belmar to take blog photos of a reception for the current show.

So I didn't get into the Studio today. But I guess I always take a little bit of it with me in my subconscious. It's been about four years since Molly and I began to move into our space at the Jersey Shore Arts Center, and in those years I've had a number of dreams about the Studio. But the odd thing is that in my dreams it's never looked anything like our colorful little space. However, there are certain aspects that are always the same. It's always in a large industrial looking building, not the 19th century brick schoolhouse we inhabit. Getting there always involves a descent of some kind- going down a hill to the building, or walking down a ramp or stairway to gain entrance to the building itself. Perhaps a reference to our basement location. Our space is located near the entrance to the building, behind either a single or double steel door. Inside is a huge room, maybe ten times the size of what we really have, usually subdivided into a main room and a few smaller rooms. Very plain- gray concrete floor, white painted walls, not much furniture. Lighting is usually dim, as if I haven't turned on all the lights.

Once in a while there's a variation. In one dream, our landlord Herb had moved all our stuff into a corner, had installed hundreds of feet of freestanding racks/walls, and some group was holding a temporary art show. (the room was very brightly lit for the occasion). Last night I paid another visit to the dream studio- Molly was there, proudly showing me how she put a full sized kitchen area in a corner just inside the door. Lots of cabinets and counter space, sink, stove, fridge, small dining table, and some nice curtains in the window.

What I'm not sure of is why the dream version of the Studio is so different from the real one. Having that much space would really be nice, and that kitchen area would come in handy on critique nights, but otherwise it's not nearly so nice a place as what we have. Maybe it's just a reminder of how lucky we are to have a great space to work in.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home