Monday, December 16, 2013

Christmas is Coming

Have a week left of classes, which means that Christmas must be getting closer.  Sure enough, the calendar tells me it's a little over a week away.  Lots to do in those days, including creating this year's card.  I came up with a possible idea last night, and I had a piece of wood all ready to go.  Even have all my tools at home, with other stuff I had used in the most recent woodcut classes in Belmar.  (all my time in the Studio since the summer had been devoted to tables)  But thinking about it this morning, something about the painting and my idea for the adaptation seemed familiar, and I started wondering if I had done this one before.

I started doing holiday cards like this (making Christmas/winter scenes based on famous paintings from all of art history) since my last Christmas in Carbondale in 1994.  That one was Van Eyck's Arnolfini Wedding Portrait- the woman in a green dress transformed into a tree, her husband's fur trimmed coat given a Santa make over.  I've done a new one every year since then, which by my count meant I had made 19 of these so far.  I didn't have a master list, and while I'm sure that I have at least one copy of each somewhere, I knew I wasn't going to be able to locate them all this morning.  I found one big bunch, then another handful, searched my memory, and scanned the spines of art books on my shelf.  Eventually I was able to put together the full list, though not in order.  For future reference, besides Van Eyck, there were two from Van Gogh, two from Hopper, and the rest came from Greek pottery, Mondrian, Miro, Schiele, Degas, Sargent, Thiebaud, Masereel, Dix, Vermeer, Hogarth, Ryder, Bosch, and DeChirico.  Images of the last several can be found on every Christmas Day on this blog.

Having accounted for all 19 years' worth of cards, I decided that my new idea hadn't been done before and it was safe to proceed.  Drew it quickly and got it cut in about an hour.  Printing will have to wait a few days, but I expect that to happen in time to have a colored prototype up on the blog for the 25th.  You'll have to wait until then to see what it is.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home