Wednesday, December 04, 2013

Holiday Windows


Back in mid-May I got an e-mail from Elaine Shor, a co-curator and vice president of Art Alliance, a co-op gallery in Red Bank.  I was a member of the gallery for a few years back in the late 90's, participating in a dozen or so shows.  They mostly did juried shows, the work judged from actual pieces that had been dropped off in person.  In those days I had a fairly regular job in Shrewsbury, one town over, and so it wasn't too difficult to stop by to drop off and pick up work.  But eventually I changed jobs and found other local places to exhibit regularly.  So I wasn't expecting to hear from the gallery, but the message was that the curating committee had decided to offer me their front window for the month of December.  As far as I knew, I had never met Elaine, but I know some other regulars at the gallery, so I guess one of them must have been behind the invitation.  I had no reason to decline the invitation, so I replied that I would do it.  I didn't exactly put it out of mind after that, but I've had many other priorities since then, so hadn't given it much concentration.

Right around the time when I was thinking I should probably get in touch soon and verify these plans, she sent another mail to confirm the show and installation dates.  I had been meaning to take a ride up that way to measure the space, but as you all know, it has been a very busy autumn, so that never happened.  A few online photos gave me at least a partial sense of the space, and I had been given the one direction that they preferred recent work.  So I put together an assortment of prints from the last several years representing different aspects of my work.  The two most recent saints (which may also be my two most recent prints), the smoking piece (set on a street, it will be viewed from a street), and four of the boardwalk prints.  A few pieces required reframing this afternoon, but then I got everything packed up and loaded my car, including my trusty two wheeled hand truck, which has seen a lot of work these past few month in moving from one apartment to another.  Parking in Red Bank's business/cultural district is traditionally a challenge, but I was lucky enough to find an empty street spot on the same block as the gallery.  I could have carried the work by hand in two trips from the car, but with my wheels, it was easily done with one.


They were just finishing up the intake of a small works show that will hang in the main gallery for the month.  Elaine arrived and moved two portable walls into place.  We divided up the 7 works into what seemed the best way to fill the walls, then hung them on screws driven into the walls.  Above and below are the left and right side windows.



I still need to put together a statement and type up a price list, but I can bring those to the opening reception on Saturday, December 7th from 6 to 8 pm.  Art Alliance is at 33 Monmouth Street in Red Bank.  The gallery hours are Tuesday to Saturday, noon to 4 pm, but since my work is in the window, you can see it 24 hours a day until the show ends in early January.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home