Monday, December 02, 2013

Table Talk part 52



With my apartment cleaning project done, I could go back to the Studio for one last bit of table work.  Herb had been concerned about getting all the tables out of the lobby before tonight's big holiday tree lighting and concert, so I went directly to the first floor and found they were indeed gone.  I then went downstairs to the table shop and found the drop leaf table sitting in the hallway outside our locked door.  Well, that is the one I came for anyway.  I had done some experiments last week and knew there were a few more things that needed fixing.  I brought it into the table shop and put it legs up on a work table.  I had seen last time that one of the sliders was broken- a screw no longer holding.  I took that inside stop and trimmed its width by about an inch or so, so that its span matched that of the two sliding pieces.  Besides providing fresh places to drill the holes for the screws, fixing the width of the end would let me add sliding guides as I did for two of them last week.  Did it for the last remaining one as well.  Did a little sanding as well before I put it back in place.  In the above photo, the one on the left without the stain on the top is the newly repaired stop.

Put it back on its legs and brought it back out to the hallway.  I had wondered if the table was out there in case someone was maybe coming by to pick it up.  I couldn't reach Molly by phone, so I just left her a message saying what I had done and that it was ready to go if someone was coming for it.    And with that my part of the project should be officially over.  There are still three tabletops for Molly to carve, but only she can do that.  Since I've taken it this far, if I run across the finished tabletops in the Studio, I'll get photos and post them here, but my next time working with wood will be a print.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home