Wednesday, March 16, 2016

2016 Tournament of Art


It has been a tradition of mine for several years to post my annual list of NCAA Men's Basketball schools that are also places I have had artistic links to.  For the second consecutive year the first college I went to, William and Mary, made it far into their conference tournament, but came up short, thus not earning the automatic bid, and maintaining their three century tradition of not getting to play in the basketball tournament.  That field was announced on Sunday, and I had 5 schools this year, and I will follow their progress in the coming weeks.  Here are the schools and my involvements:

Villanova (1997, Art and Religion exhibition)
University of Texas (2001, Culture Rot exhibition)
Northern Iowa (2001, Question of Faith exhibition, cover illustration for Religion and Eduction journal, 2002 and 2009)
Syracuse (2005 invitational group exhibition)
Florida Gulf Coast University (unofficial, but a former co-worker of mine moved down there and started studying art.  From 2007 to 2014 she was consulting me by e-mail on a regular basis to get general advice, critique her work, etc.  Going through that mailbox, I found over 30 art related communications from me, the equivalent of two semesters of classes, so as far as I'm concerned, I was teaching art there.  They won their first game already, a play in game for a 16 seed, but I have doubts about them beating North Carolina tomorrow.)

As for the other schools, I've seen a few Villanova games on tv this season and they are a very good team, but in recent years they have struggled come tournament time.  I'll have an update on all 5 teams after the first weekend.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home