Saturday, December 31, 2016

The Year That Was 2016


As with many recent years, not a lot of new art was made this year.  The need to earn money was a factor, and more than some recent years that was related to art.  And art did keep me busy.  Just didn't get a chance to make many new blocks this year.

Prints- Other than this year's Christmas card, not a single new print was created start to finish in 2016.  I drew a new image for the next supermarket print, but have not decided if it's ready to cut, much less started cutting it.  (If I start that tomorrow, it could be done in a week.)  I did rework some old prints into new pieces, such as two from the Fourth of July getting color and collage to create new pieces for exhibitions, and some fragments from another block becoming part of a collaboration with a critique friend.

Shows- Had a lot of art up on walls this year, even if little of it was completely new.  About 20 pieces overall, in 9 different shows.  Some were pieces with histories that go back decades, and one was an ink wash drawing done for a classroom demonstration, never intended for exhibition but well received anyway.  Several were in places I had never exhibited before, potentially bringing my work to a new audience.

Publicity- Some things popped up related to the Art & Religion show that I had participated in almost 20 years ago.  A plan to publish some kind of book in time for the 20th anniversary didn't happen, but was revised into a website with stories about the show, images of the work, and poems written by the organizer about the artists and works.  And someone who keeps a blog devoted to unusual saints somehow discovered my Everyman series and he featured one on his site.

Firsts- I was forced to update the operating system in my aging computer, which eliminated the photo software I've been using with my digital camera since I got it.  With a lot of assistance I learned some new procedures to help me do what I need to for art, teaching, etc.  At my community college, I had two brand new courses that I had to develop and plan, each with about a week's notice.  That I had taught similar courses at other schools made it possible.

Studio- One of my college friends made two trips up to NJ this year, once early in 2016 to buy some prints and then late in the year to see one of my shows and order some more prints (and to eat pizza). She brought another one of our old friends on the 2nd trip and they were very impressed with the whole building.  My studio furniture building skills got put to use with a commission to build a sink for a private studio nearby.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home