Thursday, April 27, 2017

Back to Work Yet Again part 5



Thursday is a day between classes, so a day I typically go to the Studio.  And at the moment I have a few projects going, so I don't want to waste a good studio day.  One of the projects is the coloring of the two boardwalk prints that have been ordered, so today I continued on that tattoo print.  My plan had been to take on the blues, the biggest color group I had left, but that's going to be complex and I wasn't sure I had time to get all that done.  I did handle one blue today, the indigo that I used for the tattoo artist's overalls, and on some of his tattoos.  And I added plenty of browns today- the hair on the main two figures, her belt, hair of one of the figures in the background, and some of the tattoo needle.  These are all dark colors, adding some high contrast to the image.  Save those big blue sections for another day.


Another task dealt with today was a sculpture in wood.  Several months ago my brother's wife had requested a wooden relief sculpture of a mermaid, something that would eventually appear in the new baby's room, but since that baby wasn't due until May, I hadn't done much yet, other than collecting from her an image of what she had in mind.  And then the baby came a week early, but all is well.  I figured I would be paying a visit anyway, so it seemed a good time to get it started and get some guidance.  I had to buy more wood anyway for my Belmar class, so I was able to cut off a big chunk of the wood I had for the mermaid.  Last night while at school I gridded the inspiring art and the block and transferred the figure to the wood, and today at the Studio I trimmed away the excess.  Late in the day I stopped by to visit the newest Bonelli and brought the mermaid with me to get some input.  She approved the size, and given the option of cutting it out as silhouette or keeping some wood around her to represent  water (and things floating in it) she chose the former.  

For their first two children I produced saint prints, going with saints chosen for the name, as opposed to the birthday/feast day that I have occasionally been asked to do in the past.  The problem is that the newest child is named Georgia, and the index to the edition of Butler's Lives of the Saints that I own and use for my saint biographical sources has not one under that name.  But today my brother tells me that the internet lists one, so I checked in the evening.  Google search did bring up several mentions of a St Georgia, though there is relatively little information, or sometimes none.  The one bit of story talks about how at her funeral a flock of doves landed on the church roof and stayed all day.  And here I need a bird image to work on for my woodcut demo on Saturday.  I now have two days to scare up any other details I can find, come up with an interesting composition and draw it, so  I can begin cutting it on Saturday.  I have an idea, but I'll save that for the weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home