Saturday, August 03, 2013

Table Talk part 6



Over this past week I've been involved with more aspects of planning the table project, and today seems like a good day to catch everyone up.

Several days ago Molly sent me a list by e-mail of the tables and dimensions that are currently planned for the project.  As of now it's 15 tables in 7 locations, plus one site for which the table is still not specified.  Six tables are for restaurants and will likely make use of manufactured bases, so in the current plan I'll have nothing to do with making those.  Most of the rest are square or rectangular tables that will be constructed based on the assembly models I made a few weeks ago.  One exception is one location wants a drop leaf table- the base being a 2' square, but folding up and securing leaves on all four sides will create a 3' round table.  A little more complicated, but I worked out the geometry on paper a few days ago (see above) so it should be fine.  I got some follow up information from her by phone.

By the end of the week she wanted an estimate of the cost for materials and labor for the project.  For each site I calculated how many of each type of wood and/or hardware would be needed to make it, and an estimated rate and amount of labor per table that we had worked out.  She had a big meeting scheduled for mid day Friday with the organization that is providing the money for this, so I sent her my figures in an e-mail yesterday morning.

That meeting went well, because so far everything is approved.  Molly told me by phone today that she brought my most recent table leg model to the meeting and everyone was impressed.  It's hardly an example of professional carpentry, but I guess it shows I'm likely to be able to get my part done reasonably well.  This leaves me with some new paperwork to deal with in the next few days- putting together a shopping list of materials for Molly (precise numbers of each bit of hardware, lumber, etc) and providing more information to the arts organization so I can be officially put on the payroll.  I put together a rough draft of the shopping list tonight, and after I double check it, I'll e-mail it to Molly tomorrow.  Our construction space should be ready to go, so once she purchases everything and it all gets delivered, I can start my latest summer job.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home