Monday, August 12, 2013

Table Talk part 8



Finally got the call during the day on Saturday from Molly stating that we were officially allowed to start using our second studio.  There wouldn't be time to really begin construction, but I figured I could maybe do some organizing.  However, when I got there I found the wood had been organized and stacked in the alcove at the back of the room, I assume by Molly.  Organized it's still a huge pile of wood.  One thing I thought worth doing doing an inventory, check it against my building diagrams.  The long beams matched the list I had given Molly, but there many more plywood panels than I had specified.  I figured many were the remnants after cutting the tabletops we needed, so I started measuring and cutting.  We're making a total of 15 tables, but we had 42 boards.  That's a lot of remnants.  I found matches for all but three tables, though we had some that were of similar but larger size than those three tables.  Need to be cut down or size was changed?  Another thing to ask Molly about.


Today I made plans to be in the Studio all day.  We had the monthly critique scheduled for the evening,  and I'd be working on the table leading up to that.  The first step, which I could do without having to talk things over with Molly, was to start cutting the 2"x4"s into pieces to make the table frames.  (on the last visit I had made a list of the lengths needed, based on the decision to keep the setback from the table edge at 3 inches all the way around)  I borrowed a couple of folding tables from other parts of the basement to help with this task, though I did the sawing itself on the more stable ground.


Spent about three hours on the project today, which used about half our 2" x 4" supply and resulted in frame parts for the majority of tables that I'll be building.  The above boards, cut to the proper sizes with mitered corners, will be used to make 5 of the tables.   Later in the evening Molly confirmed the new size for the 3 unaccounted for tabletops, so next time I cut frames for those, plus one small table I didn't get to today.  After that it will be time to assemble the pairs into 4 sided frames.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home