Thursday, October 27, 2022

Walkin' Blues part 10

 

By the morning I knew that I was officially relieved of the duty of having to drive my father to a doctor's appointment, but I still figured it would be a good idea to be home, just in case I was needed to do so.  Toward this end, I made sure to leave a little early to get up to the Studio.   I decided to get a little more work in on my latest block.  Plus, I had to leave a rent check for Molly.  As I was writing out the check, I realized that today's date was October 27th, making this the birthday of the radio station I grew up with- WNEW-FM.  That radio station is long gone now, having changed formats a few times in the 90's, and the last show to date back to its days as a rock station ended at New Year's on 2001, so there hasn't been much point in even tuning it in for a few decades.  But it was something there all through my childhood, and part of my adult years, and it did introduce me to much of what I listen to now.  Back in those days, they often had big name bands come in and do a live show they carried, and some of those were taped and I later recorded them on discs, when I had that capability.  The Robert Cray Band that I listened to recently was such a show, a birthday concert done back on October 27, 1991, and a copy of that disc is part of my Studio blues set.  That disc would be appropriate for today, but I just listened to that, so I brought another live show recorded off the airwaves, originally to tape, then to disc, then a copy to keep in the Studio as part of my rock/pop set- The Smithereens, a rock band from Central Jersey recorded to tape on December 5, 1989.  (this was not a birthday show, but part of an Electric Ladyland concert series that did not happen as often as had been promised during that show)

In any case, I knew I didn't want to stay for long, so I planned for just whatever I could get done during that one disc.  I started with the background guy in the center of the image, lining up with the corner of the back wall, but technically part of the right side.  A balding man in a jacket and tie, who doesn't really look like he fits in with this crowd.  Next was the head of my other character facing forward on that side, the only part of him that is carved.  The only other figures back there are shadowy silhouettes, all taken from my photo reference book.  Some are outlined by light areas in my background brick walls, so I cut a few of those light patches, underneath ceiling mounted recessed lights.  Results can be seen in the image above.  That leaves one more couple in the background on the left side, behind the seated couple, a few more silhouetted figures, the rest of the bricks, and that ceiling.  

After that, I ink it up and see what I have.  If the print looks good, more on to #2. If not, make corrections and get done.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home