Monday, September 16, 2024

Traveling Riverside Blues part 3

As I wrote recently, I decided to switch over to the Robert Johnson print from the boardwalk print I had been working on, mostly because we now have a scheduled exhibition in the building going up in about a month and I figure there is a much better chance of me finishing the black and white print than the color print in the remaining time.  Both were mostly drawn, but there are definitely fewer steps remaining in this print.  

I may yet do more drawing in this print, but for now I need to cut out all the margins, so I started with that.  Did the two on the sides, and then the bottom part.  Started on the first word of the lyrics below, but didn't get that far because Molly made a rare daytime appearance, and updating her took a bit of time.  Still I got enough done to feel it a successful day, and to believe I can get this done in time to include this in the upcoming show.  Where it stands today can be seen below:

This is probably the first time I've seen Molly in several months, so I had to make sure she got the print she asked me to make for her months ago.  I let her know about our broken window (and that it was reported to the office), the television project, reminded her about the September rent check, showed her some recent work (and she showed some of hers), talked what I remember of dates related to the upcoming show.  We also talked a bit about cd's, since most of mine are at home these days (so I can have something to listen to at home, with so many of mine in storage) and a bunch of hers are now in the Studio (nothing to play them on her home), things going on with her family, the bulb over one of her corners of the space (the building knew, but chose not to replace it or repair her tack board because they couldn't get close enough), the status of some of the work she did that was used in various Asbury Park eateries in the past (and some still do, she tells me today). and of course why she was there today- meeting with a friend of her daughter's, who was there to pick up some of those t-shirts I saw last week, destined for an animation festival in Brooklyn this week.

The print I turned over to Molly was one I had made some time ago, finished by the end of 2022 for a deadline I had been given.  She had seen the framed version I had done for the Tenants show in 2023, and is currently hanging in a show in Asbury.  My plan is to use that frame for the show coming up next month, with a new print in it.  Meanwhile, she's happy to finally have her print.  Now that she has it, and pay for it will come out of the next rent check, what she does with it is her business.

The odd thing was that I was listening to one of Molly's discs when she arrived today- My Aim Is True by Elvis Costello, the artist's 1977 debut.  I had the original American release on my shelf in the old days, so it's almost like listening to one of mine.  (Molly has an expanded version with a bonus disc, but I didn't get to listen to it because of her arrival)  The album is a mixture of the rock, new wave, pub rock, and ballads that mark his work of this era.  Apparently no hit singles, but many of the album tracks got a lot or radio airplay in my youth.  It did make him a star.  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home