Thursday, September 19, 2024

Traveling Riverside Blues part 5

 When drawing was done, I went downstairs to my Studio and Nellie met me down there shortly afterwards.  This was planned, as she has an opportunity to show some prints soon and wanted me to supervise and advise her printing some old blocks.  These were linoleum, but relief is relief, and that is one thing I know well.  She had taken my class in woodcut a few years back, and so printing should not be a problem for her- we cover it, and she had done some prints since.  However, she said she felt more comfortable having me present to talk to her and advise her.  

So even before figure drawing, I had cleared the part of my table that I used, to make some room, and while I waited for her to get there, I put away some drawing stuff.  She had a box full of tubes of ink, tools, and such, but had left the plate at home, so she took the quick ride home to get it.  (I didn't want to take up Molly's space, in case she suddenly showed up to do something) When Nellie returned, I looked at the plate and all her materials, and gave her some advice.  She asked if she could try some printing there in the space, to get some confidence, and I okayed it.  She did a first black (water based in) proof, but I knew the ink was too light, and she decided to do more.  After printing two more black ones with more ink she realized the problem, but I advised her to save the first proof for experimentations with coloring.  She washed up everything in the sink, and cleaned the black ink off my palette.   With wood I would blot the block instead of washing, but I figured the water and sink would work fine for linoleum, and it did.  Later she also printed versions of her GG Allin block in both blue ink and red ink.  Here is her in action:

She started printing with a wooden drawer pull, but decided she liked my wooden spoon best.  She also  used my metal ruler to measure her paper and tear it down to size.  She decided to make the paper the same size as the block, to print to the edge.  It's not what I usually do, but it is perfectly acceptable in printmaking.  She liked all her proofs and feels good about showing them.  What they are for is an Asbury Park Punk Rock Flea Market, which was held in our building in Ocean Grove last year.  For all I know we will also have it in our building again, but I haven't heard anything yet.

Meanwhile, I am not one to waste an opportunity, and was working on cutting my latest block on another part of the table.  I didn't cut as much as I might on a day there by myself, with Nellie hitting me with a lot of printmaking related questions, but I think I'm fine on time here.   I need to let the office know soon I will be part of the show, but it will be more than three weeks before they need the actual work.  What I worked on today was the lamp/table and some of the male figure in bed.  It can be seen below:

I probably won't be there tomorrow, but maybe I'll send them an email about the show, and confirm things next week when I'll be back in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home