Wednesday, August 22, 2007

A History of Art part 27



I went to the Studio right after work, with the immediate concern preparing for a visit from the collectors I had met with a few weeks ago. The prints were ready and signed, and I had even made glassine folders for them yesterday. I thought it a good idea to provide a safe way to get the prints home, so I had grabbed a large piece of corrugated cardboard before leaving home this morning, leaving it in the back of my truck. In the Studio I cut, scored, and folded, making a quick portfolio case- crude, but effective, certainly good enough to keep the prints safe in the short term. I saved one last step for my visitors arrival, stamping with the chop mark. Usually I put it in a lower corner of the sheet, or on the back where it won't bleed through (especially with group folio editions), but this couple wanted it in a place where it would be visible even if matted, so they requested that it go right next to the signature. Prints and money were exchanged and everyone was happy.

As long as I was in the Studio, I figured I should do a little drawing. I fixed the 6 on the motel sign (top photo), making it look more like the actual sign would. This area is done. Back down to the boardwalk area, I tried another version of the top ring of the boat ride, at least on the left side. Still needs work. Next to it I finally started playing around with the last piece of the composition, which I decided will be some sea gulls picking at spilled food- pizza and fries. The problem is that I can't quite figure out how to accurately draw the gulls. I had my bird book with me, but all the images are eye level profiles of birds standing or soaring. I need to see what they look like from different angles, bent over, hovering before landing, etc. So either I need to find some better references, or just go down by the beach and do sketches or take some photos of my own. But on a day nicer than this, as we suffer with our 4th straight day of rain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home