Thursday, November 03, 2022

Love In Vain part 5

 



Now that we are in November, I have to start thinking about my holiday card.  So yesterday I did, looking at some images by particular artists, and different kinds of paper, as I will need something heavy for the cards and I have to order some supplies soon anyway.  This morning I heard about some thing else, something my mother saw online.  She thinks that there is a craft fair and open studio event coming up toward the end of November.  First I heard about it.  Something else to ask about when I'm up at the Studio today.

Left for Ocean Grove in the late morning, got there about quarter after 11.  Dropped off my stuff in the Studio, and saw that Molly had been there again.  New towels, this time colorful floral designs.  Then to the office.  Apparently there is a lot yet to be determined.  Elyse said that she would try find out more.  The open studio thing is once again the idea of Joe Borzatta, but I hadn't heard anything about it yet.  She sent him an email to see what's going on with it.  Once again, the Studio is a bit of a mess, now that Molly is back making product, so I have to check with her on what we do.  On the other hand, if all this product is not already earmarked for a particular store or event, this could be an opportunity for her to sell some stuff.  

I have plenty of wood, so creating a block for a holiday card would not be a problem, but that can wait. Right now I want to work on my Robert Johnson project.  That means block #2, my take on "Love In Vain."  Actually first I sharpened my smallest gouge, which I used a lot making the first block in the series.  I also touched up the few things I missed on that block, but not even enough to take a new photo of it.  Next time you see it, the block will be inked, and perhaps printed.  Meanwhile, the block for Love in Vain is all drawn, so it's time to start drawing that one.  I brought the smaller Blues/Jazz book with me, and found suitable music.  I started with my burned copy of T-Bone Walker's T-Bone Blues.  A classic record that could be called jazz or blues, but I think of it as blues, and it even has a song about taking a train out of town.  I played it as an LP on my radio show in Virginia, and as a disc in Illinois when it was finally reissued.  When that ended two vinyl LP's by John Lee Hooker burned to a single disc back in the day, a copy of which was in the Studio.   It includes Volume I, from Modern Records, collecting some sides from 1948 to 1954, and This Is Hip released by VeeJay, which collects sides from 1955 to 1964, and was the second blues album I ever bought, though that was on cassette back then. 

As far as this new block goes, I followed my usual routine.  I cut out the border on three sides, then decided to take on the two main figures, a mix of black, white, and gray tones.  While the music and table were good, I decided to also do the edge of the platform, a stripe of white. Long way to go, but what is done seems good so far.  Results can be seen at the top of this post.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home